Accommodation Therapy is an holistic and individualised allied health service for individuals living in Disability Services Commission-provided accommodation homes across the Perth metropolitan area.
This service aims to enhance the quality of life, independence and participation of these individuals. Services are contemporary, responsive, evidence-based and centred on the person’s wishes, needs and aspirations.
Specific services aim to increase independence and participation by:
- identifying and managing difficulties with swallowing
- increasing the communication abilities of individuals
- maximising independence through daily living activities
- assessing and prescribing equipment needs such as personal care, mobility devices and 24-hour postural care
- ensuring safe transportation of individuals in vehicles
- assessing and making recommendations for the building of new homes
- ensuring individual and staff safety with manual-handling advice
- maximising independence by maintaining an individual's mobility in the home and community
- providing specialist nutrition support for special diets to manage medical conditions
- consulting with staff to assist with weight control (under/overweight)
- using the nutrition products scheme (SNPS) for the provision of products to be used for tube feeds and as nutrition supplements.