Navigation ToggleSearch Toggle

Home modifications

When considering modifications, it is advisable that people obtain a specialist home assessment from an occupational therapist.

This assessment may include modifications or equipment that may not have been previously considered.

In the metropolitan area, your doctor can provide a referral to an occupational therapist.

In country areas, your local doctor can provide a referral to an occupational therapist based at the local or regional hospital.

Types of modifications

Minor modifications can include small, low-cost aids and equipment to improve accessibility and can include customised bed blocks, bath seats, hand-held showers, chair platforms, grab rails and hand rails, and light switch and power point relocation.

Major modifications can include significant structural changes to a home such as lift and ramp installations and complex bathroom structures.