The Disability Services Commission provides funding to a number of independent advocacy organisations so that they can assist people to resolve issues and create change.
Individual advocacy services include:
- assistance to people with disabilities to help them to act for themselves
- support for families, carers and members of the community to act with or for people with disabilities
- acting with or for people with disabilities.
Organisations that provide systemic advocacy services work to produce change in areas such as:
- the attitudes and understanding of the general community
- government legislation, policies or services
- government and non-government policies, practices and services
- private sector policies, practices and services.
To find out more about advocacy organisations funded by the Commission contact your Local Area Coordinator.
For a list of advocacy organisations funded by the Australian Government, please visit the website of the Department of Social Services.
PDF version (also available in Word below)